Introduction to blocked shower drains
Having a properly functioning shower drain is crucial for an enjoyable showering experience.
However, it’s common for shower drains to become clogged with hair, soap scum, and other debris over time. A blocked shower drain can lead to standing water in your shower, slow drainage, and even water damage if left unaddressed. At Randwick Plumbing, we understand the headaches a blocked shower drain can cause, which is why our licenced plumbers have the expertise to safely and effectively clear clogs.
There are several methods plumbers use to clear blocked shower drains. A simple plunger can sometimes do the trick by dislodging built-up gunk.
For more stubborn clogs, we may use drain cables or high-powered water jet machines to break up and flush away obstructions. We also utilise state-of-the-art CCTV drain cameras to thoroughly inspect drains and identify any underlying issues. Professional-grade tools and technology allow us to clear even the most difficult shower drain clogs.
The key is to have your blocked shower drain addressed promptly by experienced professionals. Attempting DIY methods with harsh chemicals can often worsen clogs and damage pipes.
Our licenced plumbers can properly diagnose issues and use proven methods to get your shower drain flowing freely again. Contact Randwick Plumbing to schedule an appointment - we service Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs 24/7 and ensure you can enjoy your shower once more.
Signs of a blocked shower drain
There are several telltale signs that indicate your shower drain may be partially or fully blocked:
- Water drains slowly and pooling occurs in your shower - This is one of the most obvious red flags, as a properly functioning drain should not lead to standing water.
- Gurgling sounds come from the drain - You may hear bubbling or gurgling noises as water attempts to drain down a clogged pipe.
- Unpleasant odours from the drain - Blocked drains can create a buildup of sewage gases that release foul odours.
- Visible debris around the drain - Hair, soap scum and other debris collecting around the drain is a sign of a potential clog.
- Backed up water into the shower - In severe cases, a complete blockage may cause water to back up and overflow from the shower drain.
If you notice any of these signs, it means your shower’s drainage system contains some type of obstruction that needs to be promptly removed. At Randwick Plumbing, our licenced plumbers have the tools and expertise to diagnose the exact location of clogs and restore proper drainage.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you see signs of a blocked shower drain.
Causes of blocked shower drains
There are several common culprits that lead to clogged and blocked shower drains:
- Accumulation of hair - As we wash our hair in the shower, strands fall out and collect in the drain over time.
- Soap scum buildup - Residue from soap, shampoo and other shower products can slowly form scum that sticks to pipes.
- Small objects falling down the drain - Items like jewellery or bath toys can become lodged in pipes.
- Hard water deposits - Minerals in water can solidify into scale that narrows drain openings.
- Pipe damage - Cracks or misalignments in drain pipes create obstructions for water flow.
If you notice your shower draining slowly, it’s likely one of these issues is the cause. At Randwick Plumbing, we have the tools and expertise to properly diagnose clogged shower drains and get them flowing freely again. Our licenced plumbers can also provide tips on preventative maintenance to avoid blocked drains in the future.
DIY methods to unblock a shower
There are a few methods you can try at home to unblock a clogged shower drain before calling a professional plumber:
Use a plungerA standard sink plunger can be an effective tool for clearing simple shower drain clogs. Follow these steps:
- Fill the shower stall with a few inches of water.
- Seal the plunger firmly over the drain opening.
- Plunge up and down rapidly 10-15 times to dislodge the clog.
- Remove the plunger and see if water drains properly. Repeat as needed.
Pour boiling water down the drainHeat can help liquefy grease and soap buildup. Try this:
- Boil a full kettle of water.
- Carefully pour the boiling water down the blocked shower drain.
- Let it sit for several minutes to break up the clog.
- Run the shower to see if the drain clears.
Use baking soda and vinegarThe chemical reaction created by baking soda and vinegar can break up organic clogs:
- Pour 1 cup baking soda down the drain.
- Follow with 1 cup vinegar and cover the drain.
- Let sit 30 minutes as the fizzing reaction occurs.
- Rinse with hot water.
Use a wire coat hangerp>
Professional methods plumbers use
As experienced licenced plumbers, we at Randwick Plumbing use advanced tools and techniques to clear blocked shower drains. These professional methods are far more effective than DIY approaches.
We use high-powered drain augers, also known as drain snakes, to break through tough clogs. These coiled metal cables are fed down the drain and rotating at high speeds to grind through and extract built-up debris.
High-pressure water jetting
Water jetting directs a concentrated, high-pressure stream of water into the drain line. This blasts away sediment, grease, soap scum and other substances sticking to your pipes.
CCTV drain inspection
We also use state-of-the-art CCTV cameras on flexible cables to get an inside visual of your pipes. This helps identify blockages and diagnose issues so we can tailor the best solution.
Our professional-grade equipment coupled with extensive expertise enables us to thoroughly clear blocked shower drains and keep them flowing freely. Don’t hesitate to call the licenced pros at Randwick Plumbing for the most effective drain cleaning services.
When to call a professional plumber
While some minor shower drain clogs can be addressed with DIY methods, there are instances when it’s crucial to call in a professional, licenced plumber like Randwick Plumbing:
- If DIY approaches have failed multiple times
- For chronic, recurring drainage issues
- If you see signs of extensive blockages or pipe damage
- For second story or difficult to access drains
- If sewage is backing up into the shower
- When specialised tools like drain snakes or jetters are required
Attempting extensive plumbing repairs without proper training can worsen issues and lead to expensive damages. Only licenced professionals have the expertise to correctly diagnose problems in your plumbing system and take the appropriate steps to restore proper drainage.
Blocked shower drains left unaddressed can also become a health hazard by allowing mould and bacteria growth.
Our team at Randwick Plumbing stays up-to-date with the latest industry best practises, and follows all local codes and regulations. Our team at Randwick Plumbing stays up-to-date with the latest industry best practises, and follows all local codes and regulations.
Never hesitate to call us for a blocked shower drain, or any other plumbing emergency. Our licenced experts are here to help day and night.
How to prevent shower drain blockages
Having a properly functioning shower is key for an enjoyable bathing experience. Having a properly functioning shower is key for an enjoyable bathing experience.
A blocked drain can lead to standing water, foul odours, and damage if ignored. While minor clogs may be DIY-able, extensive obstructions often require a licenced pro.
As outlined, signs like slow drainage, gurgling sounds, and visible debris point to a blocked drain. Causes range from accumulated hair and soap scum to pipe damage. Both DIY methods and professional-grade tools can clear clogs, but severe blockages frequently need high-powered drain snakes, jetting, or camera inspection that only an expert plumber has.
Attempting repairs without proper training risks worsening issues and injuries. For chronic or extensive shower drain troubles in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs, Randwick Plumbing has the advanced tools, extensive experience, and proper licencing to diagnose and correct the problem quickly and safely.
Don’t tolerate the headache of a blocked shower drain any longer. For professional drain cleaning services, make sure to email, book an appointment online, or call Randwick Plumbing today. Our team looks forward to restoring proper drainage and flow to your shower so you can relax and rejuvenate.